Sunday, October 25, 2009

Typology Proposal

For my typology project I would like to take pictures of hubcaps. This would include boring hubcaps, ugly hubcaps, weird hubcaps, and very cool hubcaps. I believe this subject is incredibly accessible as hubcaps are all varied and in abundance in any near by parking lot, of which are also quite accessible. Hubcaps come with different wheels as well which hopefully will be interesting. For the composition of the photographs I plan to take a picture with the center of the wheel in the center of the photograph, showing all the hubcap as well as all of the wheel and a tiny bit of the road and bottom of the car—just enough to be interesting as all will be different yet similar.

I think that the more photos in this particular case, the more interesting. Four hubcaps would not be in the least bit entertaining, and while the general rule the more the merrier may seem like it applies to all typology projects, I believe that it only applies to certain typologies. In my opinion, the amount of photographs in a typology is best determined by how detailed you want each photograph to be looked at. If you have subjects that are inherently interesting to look at, and only have subtle differences between them, then the fewer photographs the better. In my case, however, with subjects that have little interest by themselves, and only have interest when you are looking at the incredibly broad spectrum of differences between each other, then a lot of photographs will be the most interesting. I do not know if the number of photos in our typology is predetermined but if so, and if it is a smallish number, then I believe I will choose another subject for my typology (Ms. Macwright willing). If, however, it is not predetermined, then I would like to create a typology with a lot of photos, as I feel this will be the main source of interest with the subject matter, and because the advantage of hubcaps is that they are plentiful and easy to capture.

1 comment:

  1. This proposal sounds good, Brendan. As we discussed in class today, your final product will consist of 12 images.

    ReplyDelete